5 Habits of Highly Successful Fitness Professionals
The fitness industry is a big one, and getting bigger by the day. There are a lot of fitness “professionals” around – some successful and some…well, not so much. But the ones who ARE successful seem to have a few core traits in common, such as:
1. They care. And not just about fitness, about helping people. It’s one thing to like exercise science and working out, but it’s another to be able to motivate someone who doesn’t like these things at all. That takes persistence, and to be persistent, you have to care.
2. They talk to people. NOT about personal crap (although they’ll likely listen to a lot of it…), but about WHY they’re doing the exercises they’re doing, and in a meaningful way that lets their clients know they’re focused on their goals and can help them achieve them.
3. They keep an open mind. There are a lot of effective training methods and modalities out there, none of which is inherently better than the rest. The “best” method is the one that suits someone’s psychology and lifestyle, and that he or she will do consistently for long enough to see results. Great personal trainers understand this, and have a host of tools in their toolboxes that they can pull from to find the best fit for the person in front of them.
4. They keep themselves educated. Fitness is a young and evolving field. We have some general principles that govern what we do, but there is still a lot we don’t know about how the body adapts. Successful trainers spend about an hour a day reading, listening to podcasts or talking shop with their coworkers about new research or techniques.
5. They take advantage of all the different opportunities in the field. To me, one of the greatest things about the fitness industry is that you can make a good career doing a host of different things – such as personal training, group classes, writing, speaking and teaching. Doing any one of them alone can be tough, but a combination of several allows for multiple sources of revenue and constant challenges. Plus, you never get bored!
Have other traits to add to the list? Post a comment!